When it comes to party styling or party throwing, two things are the same: we’re looking for cuteness but not at a high cost. To help lower the cost, try cutting out the custom work you farm out and try the semi homemade approach. In this post, check out some tips to upgrade a grocery store cake into something that truly fits your party theme!DISCLOSURE: Some of the links in this post contain affiliate links, which come at no cost to you. Know that I only promote products I personally use and stand behind. To learn more about my affiliates, please review my disclosure policy here.
I’ve styled over 60 parties for Wholesale Party Supplies and Birthday in a Box and have been experimenting in ways to personalize the dessert options so they don’t seem redundant. While I do my fair share of food crafting for plenty of themes, I also love to buy a grocery store cake and take the semi homemade approach to dress it up! Here are just a few ways I’ve tried this out:
- Color it – Wilton Color Mist is my go to way of making a cake, popcorn or other treats match a party theme, like this one for my Shimmer and Shine party and this one for my Trolls Party. This edible color spray is great for coverage but it’s similar to spray paint in that it can have a wide spray range. Do it outside so you don’t get it all over your kitchen! Tips: it does stain your hands when spraying so you might want to wear rubber gloves!
- Change up the icing pattern – Scrap off the outdated icing design and use your knife to create a rough texture pattern. Once sprayed with edible coloring and decorations added, this grocery store cake is unrecognizable! That’s exactly what I did with this Outer Space party cake!
- Stick candy on top – Create your own edible topper in the form of lollipops, gumballs and chocolate candies, as seen in this 21st birthday party!
- Add a candy border – M&Ms, Skittles, and Reese’s pieces make great colorful accents around the bottom edge of a cake, especially when up high on a pedestal. See how to create this Frozen cake party hack!
- Drizzle a new topping – Use color chocolate melts or mix of some ganache and drizzle it over the edge of a cake to change the look. More Daniel Tiger party details!
- Insert a custom cake topper – Make one out of punched shapes, wooden shapes, die cut letters, or a party decoration.
- Use toys as toppers – Whether it’s toys you already own or items from the favors you plan to give out, stick them on top of your cake to bring the theme to life.