Make the holidays more fun with some friendly family competition! Check out a series of fun Christmas games and the DIY Christmas Game Trophy group made using things found at the dollar store!
DISCLOSURE: Some of the links in this post contain affiliate links, which come at no cost to you. Know that I only promote products I personally use and stand behind. To learn more about my affiliates, please review my disclosure policy.
This year my sister’s family of 3 young boys and my parents are coming for Christmas for a total of 11 people. Not a large group, but one filled with 5 kids ages 7 – 11. In addition to eating and exchanging gifts, I think we’re going to take part in some friendly competition with some Christmas games! We’ll tally up the scores and at the end of the games, I’ll hand out two trophies for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place.
These Christmas game trophies aren’t going to be any store bought purchases but are instead some DIY creations made from things I got at the dollar store and miscellaneous things I had at home.
DIY Christmas Game Trophy Supplies:
- Plastic Nutcrackers (found these at Dollar Tree!)
- 1 Wood Cube (also Dollar Tree in the craft section)
- White Spray paint with primer
- Acrylic Paint – gold, silver, bronze
- Black Vinyl
- Cricut Maker
First remodel any of the hair accessories and them them a good coat of spray paint. Tip: stick them down on your cardboard with painter’s tape. These were pretty light and I was worried they’d fall over with the wind!
Once dry, apply a coat or two of acrylic paint. Tip: smaller flat paint brush worked best!
Cut the numbers from black adhesive vinyl and apply numbers to the heads of the nutcrackers. Gold = 1, Silver = 2, Bronze = 3
Now your DIY Christmas Game trophy set is ready to be passed out after your Christmas Game competition!
Just like when we did the Candy Cane Taste Test during a previous Christmas get together, I plan to pair the 5 kids with the 5 adults (and I’ll run the games). Here’s a list of the Christmas Games we plan to play and the supplies I’ve collected to play each one:
- GAME 1: Cup Races – Objective: Each player has to stack 3 cups inside one another from one end of the table to the other. They will only be able to use a balloon and no hands! To do this they need to take the balloon in their mouth, put it inside the cup and blow it up so it grabs the cup and allows you to carry it to the other end of the table. Supplies: 3 cups, 1 balloon per person. (I saw the game in action on this instagram reel!)
- GAME 2: Money Grab – Objective: collect as many dollars as you can while blind folded and using a spatula and cutting board. It’s more fun to the people watching than the one playing! (As seen on this instagram reel) Supplies: blind bold, spatula, cutting board, money or fake money.
- Game 3: Flip Cup Races – Objective: Place your plastic cup at the end of the table and flip it up to land face up. Each time you do that you can move your player up 1 marker. Whoever gets to the 5th marker first wins! Supplies: 3 cups per person. Timed heats!
- Game 4: Plate Drawing – Objective: collect the most points by drawing your design most accurately to the description. This post from Happy Home Family outlines the point system and how you can win. Supplies: paper plate and pencil per person
- Game 5: Jingle Bell Toss – Objective: be the team to get the bells in all your cups first! Aka it’s like beer pong but with mini cups and jingle balls! Supplies: 5 mini red cups and 5 jingle balls per team.
- Game 6: Christmas Word Search – Objective: Whichever team finds the most words in 5 minutes wins! I’m using this free one from Moms and Munchkins. Supplies: 1 word search and 2 pencils per team.
See what games we played the next year so you can add them to your family or friend get together!