This February Sonic the Hedgehog, the popular video game character from the 90s, is back but this time on the big screen! This Sega brand is now a fast action, sonic speed filled movie with Jim Carrey and a twirly mustache as the villain, Doctor Eggman. If you’re planning to throw a Sonic the Hedgehog Party for your little gamer, make sure to check out these party hacks to stand on budget and still produce some fun!
DISCLOSURE: I am a contributor for the websites seen in this post however, the opinions expressed here are all my own. This is NOT a sponsored post. Some of the links in this post contain affiliate links, which come at no cost to you. Know that I only promote products I personally use and stand behind. To learn more about my affiliates, please review my disclosure policy.
I don’t get many chances to style typically “boy” themed parties but was happy to have my oldest nephew stand in as a birthday boy for this Sonic the Hedgehog styling assignment.
Continue reading for some Sonic the Hedgehog party hacks that can often be used in other themes as well!
- Personalized wrappers party hack – These personalized wrappers are actually designed for chocolate bars but I’ve used them for other things, including wrapping cans for Spiderman web and now to make bag toppers of your custom trail mix! Just trim a little off the back and fold over a cellophane bag of goodies!
- Make your own mix – this brings me to the second point. You can create your own trail mix to fit any theme when grabbing a few bulk bags of snacks and separating them out. These Sonic the Hedgehog trail mixes include ring shaped pretzels (like the power rings he grabs in the game), M&Ms in pink and blue (the party color palette) and some squishy marshmallows (because why not).
- Wrap your recycled materials – I just can’t let a good block of Styrofoam go to waste when I can wrap it in a plastic tablecloth and use it to display personalized goodies. I’ve made MANY lollipop stands before made of purchased Styrofoam shapes but this mini little stand was made with recycled Stryofoam left over from a TV purchase!
- Make your own character stand – Those stand up cardboard displays can often run you $40 a pop! I was able to create this large scale version using a wall decal mounted on three pieces of foam board from the dollar store for about half the price!
- Holy crepe! – I’ve shared this before, but crepe streamers can be used for other things than hanging down and twisting 80s party style. These DIY centerpieces were made with paper fans, a free printable template and foam wreaths from the Dollar Store.
- Yellow paper plates make good gold rings! Yes, I’ve styled not one but TWO Sonic the hedgehog parties, this second one using paper plates as the backdrop (you know it’s my fav) and yellow ones turned into the famous yellow ring that Sonic tries to grab!
- Dress the part – Grab a Sonic T-shirt or make your own hoodie following this tutorial, which includes a free printable template!
Leave a Reply