Dads and daughters have a very special bond. Dads have a lot of learning to do with this new gender that they now help raise and most step up to the plate! While many of the things are on this list aren’t exactly specific to the girl gender, it’s something I’ve noticed in my husband and our daughter’s relationship which is my only point of reference. Here are 10 signs he’s a great dad to a daughter.
- Doesn’t care what color or pattern is on the diaper bag they carry. Pink , florals, butterflies – it doesn’t matter to him since he knows he’s carrying it for his girl!
- Carries extra hairties under his wedding band. Toddler hairties are REALLY small and fit around an adult’s finger. If mom isn’t around, dad may sport extras on his hands.
- Learns all about girl specific clothing pieces and masters dressing his girl. Girls wear things that boys never wear. Skirts, skorts, headbands, leggings under onesies. He may make mistakes the first few times he has to dress her in these items, but he’ll eventually learn what they all are and how she should wear them.
- Learns how to put hair in a ponytail. Sure the first pony tails are not the most fashionable. They might be a little too far forward, too “water spout” looking on top or just overall messy. But he doesn’t give up and these hair styles get better as time goes on.
- Encourages play activities that are traditionally very girl oriented. Play purses. Baby dolls. Dress up clothes. It’s just cute to see dad help to put that purse on her shoulder or burp the baby doll because she asked him to.
- Gets just as excited at the site of princesses or puppies as much as they do! If their little miss is obsessed with a certain Disney character or loves the furry fidos, he’ll happily point out every one he sees to make his little girl smile with delight about their presence.
- Uses a soft voice when talking to her and gives lots of cuddles. It’s sweet to see his softer side come out and be so gentle with his little miss.
- Wears or does things that are otherwise silly, just because she asks. He’ll wear that silly butterfly headband, rock and burp the baby doll or dance like a ballerina because that’s what his girl wants.
- Gives into the pink and frilly side of life. Even if you don’t encourage it, pink, frilly, “girly” looking clothes and accessories make their way into your life one way or another. He happily embraces these items and gives into a life of pink!
- Lights up when he comes home to an excited girl yelling “DADA” and coming to give him a hug. Even if he had a hard day at work, the presence of his little girl getting excited to see her dad again is one of the best forms of therapy for a dad!
Today is Father’s Day and I’m happy to say that my husband, Derek, fits all 10 of these signs and is a GREAT dad to our daughter, Brielle. I can’t wait to see him with both our little girl comes late summer!
Share with other dads you know who are expecting a little pink bundle soon!