Have you ever heard of a Favorite Things Party? It’s a great way to share a favorite beauty item, book, gadget or snack with a group of friends in a party settings. Check out what everyone brought to the Favorite Things Party activity done at my 40th birthday party!
DISCLOSURE: Some of the links in this post contain affiliate links, which come at no cost to you. Know that I only promote products I personally use and stand behind. To learn more about my affiliates, please review my disclosure policy.
Whether it’s off social media, a television commercial, or Amazon, it’s just a fact that people buy items based on recommendations! That’s why I decided to host a Favorite Things gift exchange at my 40th birthday party in lieu of bringing me a gift.
I included information about the Favorite Things exchange on the back of my party invitation. Each guest was to identify a favorite item they love under $10. (You can, of course, create whatever price point you want!) Each guest was to then bring 3 identical items to the party, unwrapped. (choosing different fragrances, flavors or colors of the item was completely ok!)
When arriving at the party, we directed guests to the favorite things area. Each guest was to add their items to the table and write their name on a slip of paper in each of the three buckets.
Guests took turns standing up to talk about their item, if it was from a certain store or other flavors or recommendations if they’re tried other flavors or fragrances from the same brand. They chose a name from each bucket and those three guests went home with the favorite item.
At the end of the party each guest went home with 3 new gifts!
- As numbers dwindle down, pay attention to who hasn’t yet been picked. You wouldn’t want a guest to end up getting three of the same item out of pure luck!
- Encourage trading! Some gifts might not work for some guests (no piercings means no earrings, non drinker doesn’t need the wine etc)
- Provide a gift bag to bring items home. I gave everyone a kraft colored bag with a handmade tag so they didn’t get them mixed up when leaving the party.
From food and drink, to beauty items, to home decor, here’s a list of all the items people brought to the Favorite Things gift exchange:
- Ruby Red Rose Wine with Grapefruit – Not only was it recommended by one guest but the store owner recommended it as a favorite also!
- Macarons – My friend Sarah of Macarons on a Mission, not only made my beautiful number cake for the party but brought three little sets of her macs for three lucky guests!
- Scrumptious Scrubs Handmade soap – My friend April brought this in a various of smells for guests. I was one recipient and my fragrances received was peppermint.
- AHAVA Better Together Body Trio – Mineral Hand Cream, Shower Gel and Body Lotion in a cute gift box.
- Pavoi Gold Hoop Earrings
- Red Aspen nails – This was the item I brought as you know I’ve been a fan for the past year! You can order them from my rep, Laura, who is always so kind and often includes extra goodies with your order! Sign up for her VIP Facebook group for exclusives and occasional giveaways! I gifted Marciamallow which is one of my favorite neutral colors.
- Nailtiques Formula Plus #2 – When I’m not wearing my nails I use this nail protein recommended (and brought to the Favorite Things Party) by my mom.
- Newgo Eye Mask – Place it in the freezer or the microwave for a hot or cold eye mask experience! I was one of the lucky ones who got this so I’ll be sure to share results on instagram
- Neutrogena Hydro Boost Hand Gel – With my party being in winter, it was a good season for good hand gel!
- Pacifica Body Lotion – Recommended by a guest that says it helps her sleep better at night.
- Remington Fuzz Away Fabric Shaver – My friend recommended this item item for all the pulls and pills on her clothes. With 13,000 ratings on Amazon, it seems like a winner!
- Artificial Eucalyptus Potted Plant – The party itself was hosted at a plant store and we created a DIY Dry Terrarium at the party but this adorable fake plant from Target was a hit!