It’s time to deck those halls! Today I’m sharing a holiday project that was way overdue as part of my holiday décor. After a hard time trying to find a holiday card display that was perfect for my wants and needs, I finally decided it was time to DIY my own or in this case, it was a full family project!
DISCLOSURE: I am part of the DecoArt Blogger Program and was provided product samples seen in this post. In addition, some of the links in this post contain affiliate links, which come at no cost to you. Know that I only promote products I personally use and stand behind. To learn more about my affiliates, please review my disclosure policy.
Years ago I bought a holiday card display that’s hung in our home to hold our cards. It didn’t hold up and was always a pain that I put up with year after year. Insert some pinterest time and an email to hubby showing this card display from Lolly Jane.
Derek and I reviewed the post and talked about what we wanted to design and we were off to design our perfect DIY holiday card display! I think he likes these small DIY projects I ask him to make as it allows him to get new tools and try new handyman techniques.
He purchased the wood, cut and routered the edge. To assemble the frame he purchased and used an angle clamp and wood glue, doing each corner at a time. Of course he always has one or both of his little assistants photobombing these projects! (Hi Hailey!)
For this project he also purchased and used a 1/4″ rabbeting bit on the router on the under side of the frame. It allowed for a gutter to staple the chicken wire to and still be flush against the wall when hung.
Hubby successfully created the frame base, but it needed a little bit of holiday cheer.
I hopped in and painted two coats of Romance Deco Art Chalky Finish red paint and a layer of the crème wax. Tip: I have this stack of mini wood blocks that I always use when painting so the frame doesn’t get stuck to the newspaper during drying!
After buffing it with a dry rag to add a little shine, I passed it back over to the Derek to complete.
He stapled chicken on the back in the channel created by the rabbeting bit of the router.
He hung it up with D ring hangers in the exact same spot another framed piece of art normally hangs in our living room all year. This way it could easily be swapped out in the same spot without any new nail holes! #planningahead
One night when Derek was at class, Brielle helped me paint some mini clothespins for use on this project using Decoart Americana Acrylic paint. Tip: when painting clothespins, clip them to a box lid, as shown, so they don’t move around and you can get all sides!
I know she’s smart and capable of things but now that she’s getting older she always impresses me with the skills she’s building, especially in art. She now has more patience, coordination and a bigger attention span to do crafts like this with me. I LOVE IT!
Once they were dry, we added them to the frame and patiently waited (and are still waiting) to add ALL YOUR CHRISTMAS CARDS!!!
It’s Brielle’s job to open the holiday cards when the mailman comes so know that each card makes her day! PS here’s another look at our #toddlermomtree aka empty on the bottom. LOL
We used this chicken wire frame for our cards for many years after and even used it as background displays for mantle designs.
The red color works great for both patriotic and Valentine themes so I get lots of use out of this chicken wire display!
Leave a Reply