We’ve lived in our current home for almost 8.5 years and had been searching for over 1.5 before finding our new house! As second time home buyers, we knew what we liked and didn’t like and had the luxury of time to allow us to make some picky choices. While our new home isn’t perfect by any means, we’re looking forward to the remodeling roles and DIY projects before us.
DISCLOSURE: Some of the links in this post contain affiliate links, which come at no cost to you. Know that I only promote products I personally use and stand behind. To learn more about my affiliates, please review my disclosure policy here.
Here is a quick list of 10 things I’m looking forward to most in our new house, most of which I’m sure will be documented on this blog or instagram stories.
10. Flat driveway. Our last one was short, sloped and angled right into the street so the girls only had the small back patio to ride their bikes and scooters. This one is fairly flat and big enough so they’ll have more space to ride or create sidewalk chalk art.
9. Fireplace. Derek’s excited about the actual wood burning aspect of a fireplace but I love that it has a MANTLE! Hello Christmas stockings hanging by a mantle and all the cute holiday decor I can dress it up with!
UPDATE: Here’s what it looks like now, after our living room remodel 4 years later!
8. Pantry space. We’re lucky to have a remodeled kitchen in our current home which does have a lot of cabinet space, but we still have overflow of pantry style food. For this, we’ve used the back storage space in our basement but that’s not a preferred location. In this new house, there’s a pantry right off the kitchen that’s meant for this purpose and I look forward to organizing and personalizing this space! Hello labeling everything with my Cricut!
7. Garage with room for my car. Sure our last garage COULD fit a car but I was never allowed to after he did that floor makeover! Plus once I started doing party staging, a 6ft fold out table always lived there as I worked on the upcoming parties. This one is two car with a high ceiling and possibly room for a mudroom area to be added!
6. Dining room. I don’t currently have a living room but just one eat in kitchen. I like the extra eating area option since we were barely able to fit our immediate family when eating.
5. Walk in closet. Not that we have a ton of clothes but it would certainly be welcomed to have a place to store our clothes if we do get more!
4. Extra office/den. There’s a back room which is staged as an office but would be way too small for all our stuff. Instead I hope to use this space for a makeshift toy room that may serve as a different office space down the road. Right now we just consider this a bonus!
Update: This ended up being my office / craft room and it’s my happy place! Here’s what it looks like now!
3. Big backyard. This backyard is nice and big but apparently never used! They have neither a patio or deck so we will have fun planning out that space as I’m sure it will be well used with our girls!
Update: we went with a patio!
2. Master bathroom! Our last house was only 1.5 baths with a small full bathroom that was lacking in storage. This new house has 2.5 baths with a double vanity in the girls’ own bathroom and one in ours! We will be gutting and redoing the master bathroom at some point (because what is this whole shelf bathtub and you can’t see it here but there’s also a super dark standing shower to the left) but at least we have our own space. (PS recommendations for bubble baths for adults appreciated!)
1.Creative crafty office! This house has a formal living room right in the front when you walk in with a big bay window. We plan to use this space as a creative craft room and office all in one! We’re already working on hardwood floors instead of carpet and have a space for me AND the girls to get creative and crafty! I’m really looking forward to teaching them all my friendship bracelet pattern skillz. (Yes, skillz with a Z.)
Leave a Reply