Looking for a cute way to make Valentine’s Day more special with the kids? Put together a little Valentine Cookie Decorating station to surprise them after school or the weekend!
DISCLOSURE: Some of the links in this post contain affiliate links, which come at no cost to you. Know that I only promote products I personally use and stand behind. To learn more about my affiliates, please review my disclosure policy.
This is actually an idea that didn’t start how I planned it. I PLANNED to have a Galentine’s Day brunch with a few local friends who I thought could sneak away for a long lunch on a Tuesday when Derek was at work. I really wanted to put my new House of Party Shimmer Panels to good use, but sadly Hailey got a 24 hour stomach bug and I had to canceled.
Attempt 2 to use this fun shimmer background (that was already up in my dining room!) was to do a Valentine Cookie Decorating session for both girls, but Brielle woke up that morning not feeling 100% so I stepped in and had some one on one time with my little one.
Before I get into the cookie recipes we used and fun we had, let me share more about these awesome reusable shimmer panels I was gifted by House of Party.
I now have one set of their new panel system (the white gold seen above for this Valentine cookie decorating setup) and the old panel system (which I won from an instagram giveaway and used for the girls’ birthday setup while on vacation last summer) and here’s what you need to know:
- Both shimmer wall panels are acrylic bases with little pins holding the shimmer pieces on. They are “pre assembled” so you don’t need to put all the little shimmer pieces in. Of the two styles, the new panel system pieces are lighter in weight and more flexible!
- Both styles are indoor or outdoor use! Outdoor allows for more shimmer with the light wind effeect.
- The older panels attach together with zip ties, which come with the kit for your initial use, however, you’ll need to invest in new zip ties for future setups. The new panel system includes X and I shaped plastic clips to attach them together making them completely reusable!
- You CAN mix and match new and old panels together color wise, however you’d need to use zip ties since the old panels don’t have the same holes for the new clips.
- I used 35 panels (of the 36 piece set) in my setup as I had a 5×7 arrangement.
Now onto the cookies! Valentine’s Cookie Decorating Recipes Used:
- Sugar Cookie Dough Recipe – bake and allow to cool completely the day before
- Cookie Icing Recipe – I made this right before decorating
Hailey chose 2 icing colors and an assortment of sprinkles from our sprinkles bin. (PS I won all these sprinkles from giveaways at Sweetapolita so make sure you always enter the instagram giveaways since this party features 2 freebies I won!)
After a quick tutorial on how to easily spread the icing with the knife without making a mess, Hailey was on her way to decorate an assortment of heart shaped cookies!
Some of us might’ve been a little more generous of on sprinkle distribution than others. :)
Oh and YES I was rocking my Hello Love Valentine nail mixed mani made up mostly of Drink Up Me Hearties and It’s Bloody Hot this day! This was 6 days into wearing this set put on solely with the double sided nail glue stickers! I’ve been off the nail glue for almost 6 months now and have no regrets on using just the stickers to apply these fun reusable press ons.
This girl was so proud of her sprinkle covered Valentine cookie decorating session, but we already know we’ll have to plan a new one for St. Patrick’s Day so her sister get can in on it too! We already plan to do this again for another holiday when everyone is feeling 100%