Mother’s Day is a perfect time to tell mom she’s the best in words or on a card. Follow this tutorial to learn how to use your Cricut Maker to create a Mother’s Day Ribbon Card using this free SVG cut file and the scoring tool, fine point blade and Cricut pen.
DISCLOSURE: Some of the links in this post contain affiliate links, which come at no cost to you. Know that I only promote products I personally use and stand behind. To learn more about my affiliates, please review my disclosure policy.
It’s been a while since I’ve broken out my Cricut machine to create a simple card, but Mother’s Day is the perfect time to do it! This ribbon design is actually something that can be used for other holidays and purposes so take note for more than just something for mom!
- Cricut Maker
- Scoring Wheel
- Cricut Pen
- Cardstock and patterned paper
- Paper Adhesive (I used Beacon Adhesive’s ZipDry)
- Hot Glue Gun
- Ribbon SVG Cut File (get it free here)
This Mother’s day ribbon card can be made using the SVG cut file I’ve provided but you do need to change a few settings after you upload it into Cricut Design Space (CDS).
Find the two pink rectangular shapes on your layers panel and click the little eye to hide them. Highlight all the vertical lines that were on the rectangles and choose “score” from the “linetype” dropdown menu.
Unhide the pink rectangles. (They might show up as a score line now but if they do go ahead and change them back to “cut” under the “linetype” menu.)
Highlight one pink rectangle and all the score lines on it, right click and choose “attach” from the menu that pops up. Repeat with the second rectangle and those score lines. This will make sure that the Cricut machine will complete the cut and scoring action on each pair in a later step without unloading the mat.
At this point you can also choose to add a phrase onto your ribbon center that can be drawn with the Cricut pen. Type your phrase and make sure to change the words to “draw” in the linetype from the dropdown menu.
Highlight both the shape and the phrase, right click and choose “attach.” Now click “make it.”
First, the Cricut will prompt you to put the pen in clamp A and will write your phrase. You don’t have to unload your mat. It will then immediately follow up with cutting out the shape.
Next, the Cricut will prompt you to swap the fine point blade in Clamp B and add the scoring wheel. It will create all the vertical lines on the two rectangles. As long as you attached the pieces in an earlier step, it will then ask you to swap the the tool in clamp B to the fine point blade so it create the remaining cuts, all without unloading the mat. Your pieces should look like this. The circle here will be the back of your ribbon piece.
Here are all the pieces you need to assemble your ribbon card. Go ahead and accordion fold your rectangular pieces on the scoring lines, as shown.
Attach them together to order a form ring. Plug in your hot glue gun and squirt some glue on the center of the circle. Push the accordion folded piece to flatten and you’ll see it forms the floral shape.
Assemble your pieces as shown to complete your Mother’s Day ribbon card! This free cut file and these steps can, of course, be used for others of other ribbon awarding reasons and surfaces other than this holiday! Tag me if you using my free SVG file to make this for mom or any other reason!
Need more inspiration for Mother’s Day? check out these ideas from my fellow crafty friends:
- Fearless Mother’s Day Card – Pen & Posh
- Mama Bird Card – Persia Lou
- Home Is Where Mom Is – Crafty Life Mom
- Love You Mama – Simply Made Fun
- Raising Kids – Poofy Cheeks
- Mama Bear and Cub – Red Earth & Gum Trees
- Super Mom Patch – Oh Yay Studio
- Super Mom – Maggie Rose Design Co
- Love You Mama 3D Heart Card – Sunshine and Munchkins
- #1 Mom Cake Topper – The Craft Print
- Mom Flower Jar – Gina C. Creates
- This Mama Is – Tam’s Sweet Life
- Mother’s Day Ribbon Card – Spot of Tea Designs
- Mother’s Day Gift Box – Crafting Overload
- Best Mama Ever – Studio Xtine
- Jewelry Box – Amy Robison
- Mom’s Got Snacks – Polka Dotted Blue Jay
- Mother’s Day Insert Card – The Bearded Housewife
- Momma Heart – Liz on Call
- Ask Your Dad – The Walnut Street House