DISCLOSURE: Some of the links in this post contain affiliate links, which come at no cost to you. Know that I only promote products I personally use and stand behind. To learn more about my affiliates, please review my disclosure policy here.
If you’re looking for some new shows to binge watch on Netflix but don’t trust the Netflix listed recommendations, look no further than today’s post! As someone who works from home on a laptop, I have been putting in my fair share of time scrolling through the Netflix feed and have come across a few shows I’d love to recommend to you!
You’ll see from this list that I don’t really have a true niche of things I like to binge watch. I love anything from documentaries to comedy to cheesy woman’s romance. Below are a list of shows to binge watch on Netflix, separated out by category.
Comedy: This tends to be stuff that my husband and I watch together as he’s a comedy kinda guy.
- Fuller House – I added this to the “comedy” category but we all know it’s not a LOL style but the cheesy comedy we loved from the 80s. If you were a fan of the original Full House series you’ll love this version of the nostalgic aspect of the show The story lines are just as cheesy but with a modern twist. There are lots of cameos from original characters, locations and plot lines, big or small, which brings you back to the days of watching the original as part of TGIF!
- Big Mouth – Chances are your husband will enjoy this more than you but I have to admit this raunchy cartoon comedy series was pretty darn funny. It’s co-written by Nick Kroll and includes lots of other comedians, including John Mulaney who plays the main character. It’s all about those early puberty years with a funny twist and I can say that we were literally LOLing while watching it.
- Orange is the New Black – Yep a series all about women prisoners with some pretty ridiculous story plots but entertaining none the less.
- Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee – We are a few seasons (or collections) into this on the fly series hosted by Jerry Seinfeld but if you and your significant other love comedians and actors, like we do, you’ll enjoy this. Jimmy Fallon hanging out with Jerry Seinfeld, doing his Jerry Seinfeld impression to him? Classic. Our favorites so far were Norm McDonald, Brian Regan and Ali Wentworth.
- Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt – I had no idea what this was about but liked the main actress Ellie Kemper from her role on the Office. She plays the same type of naive character that is always excited with a good heart and does it really well. The basic plot involves Kimmy, a 29 year old who was abducted by a crazy religious cult and how she survives living in New York City with her 8th grade education. It’s created by Tina Fey and feels similar to Mean Girls with silly plots that will all of a sudden jump into some side flashback or ridiculous situation that often had me laughing to myself in my living room.
- Santa Clarita Diet – There are only 2 seasons for this comedy starring Drew Barrymore as a women who wakes up one morning and realizes she has to eat people to survive and the antics she gets in with her husband and daughter to make that happen. Weird concept, sure but trust me that it gets funny. It kinda reminds me of the playful way Jim Carrey and Tea Leoni break the law in Fun with Dick and Jane.
- 13 Reasons Why – In short, this is a 13 part series about bullying and the effects it has on teenage life. If you think it’s just some teenage drama that won’t relate, parents, listen up! We’re living in a social media world so it’s important to take in the message this series is showing! Each episode is an hour long and I promise you’ll want to watch more than one in a row. I hear they’re working on a second season right now so I’ll be all over that too!
- Narcos – My husband and I are currently season 2 of this series about Columbian drug traffickers, a topic I knew pretty much nothing about. It’s mostly in Spanish so there’s a lot of reading (which tends to make me sleepy since we watch it before bed) but its well done with a mix of real news coverage within the story lines based on real events.
- Alias Grace – If you’re a fan of historical fiction, you will like this 6 part series about a young girl accused of murder in the 1800s. I literally watched the whole thing in a day in a half because I was hooked!
- Ozark – Again another pick that the husband chose as he seems to enjoy the weird niche of drugs and money laundering (two things he’s not into personally but loves to watch!) Jason Bateman plays the dad who gets involved in some pretty interesting money laundering situations while trying to keep his family safe in a secluded town way outside their original Chicago city roots.
- Stranger Things – Sci-fi fans and 80s television fans alike will enjoy this unique series that takes place in the small town of Hawkins, Indiana. It feels Goonies and X-Files rolled in one so I loved it. There are now two seasons so sit back and finally get in the know about Eleven, Eggo waffles and the Upside Down. Season 3 is in the works!
- The Toys That Made Us – A well-made documentary series where each episode features a new brand. It includes interviews by the makers, business leaders, enthusiasts and industry reps. Includes some humor and lots of behind the scenes knowledge of the toys of your youth. The first four episodes feature Star Wars, He-Man, Barbie, and G.I. Joe with several more episodes yet to be released!
- Abstract the Art of Design – Art nerds unite! An awesome documentary series about different artists who use all sorts of mediums to showcase their creative side. Each episode features a new “famous” designer and it features their background story on how they got where they are. I haven’t watched them all but loved the few I have watched thus far!
Miscellaneous: These are additional shows that are not Neflix originals but available to binge watch through their service.
- The Walking Dead – If you thought this series was all about zombies, you’d be wrong. There’s content related to morals and ethical questions, plus they really work hard to create some character development to make you love them and hate when they’re gone! Once you binge watch the 7 seven series, you can catch up on season 8 that’s currently on air on AMC.com.
- Gilmore Girls – Not only can you catch up on ALL seven seasons of this hit show, but you can always catch up on the television lives of Rory and Lorelei ten years later in the Netflix extension.
- When Calls the Heart – Cheesy Hallmark movie lovers unite! I got roped into this show once catching Becky from Full House was it in and I went ahead and binged all 4 seasons. It’s set in the 1800s in a coal mining town so it includes some historical reference of the US at the time, as well as, cheesy old school romance! You can continue to watch the new seasons on the Hallmark channel.
- Breaking Bad – This was the first series we watched once we got Netflix and we can see why it was so successful when it was on air! A high school chemistry teacher is diagnosed with cancer and decides to team up with an ex-student to develop meth. It’s funny, it’s interesting and it’s entertaining.
- Girlfriend’s Guide to Divorce – Bravo fans unite! This series follows Abby as she guides the life of a divorced working woman and how it affects her family. It’s not really even about divorce but is more about featuring women in their 40s and their second round of relationships.
Let me know if you end up watching anything from this list or have something you think I would like based on my eclectic taste!