DISCLOSURE: Some of the links in this post contain affiliate links, which come at no cost to you. Know that I only promote products I personally use and stand behind. To learn more about my affiliates, please review my disclosure policy here.
Moving day can be stressful and no matter how much planning and labeling you do, there’s definitely going to be things you’ll be looking for that you can’t find. To make the day a little less stressful, put together an OPEN FIRST box for all those first moment house essentials. Download my free printable checklist to make sure you have what you need in our open first box.
You can also consider this the first box to bring with you to the house after closing. After popping the champagne in celebration of closing, you may have an item to get to work on demo, on cleaning or measuring. This open first box will have those basic tools and early on essentials needed for those first moments. Download this handy printable checklist to put yours together!
- 9 volt batteries. Who knows if they were as diligent as you were with changing the smoke detectors. You won’t want a middle of the night beep on night one!
- Box cutters and scissors. To help slice open all those boxes easily and help break them down for recycling once you’re done.
- Measuring Tape. How much carpet will you order? How wide are those windows for the curtains you’re ordering? How big of a couch can we fit in the living room?
- A few rolls of toilet paper. The previous owners may take EVERYTHING from their home including the one on the roll!
- Hand soap for the bathroom. Moving is dirty!
- Trash bags.
- Paper towels. Something might have spilled during transport or you’ll need a napkin for those on the fly, not home cooked meals you pick up during this crazy moving process.
- Cleaning supplies.
- First Aid Kit. At the very least include a pack of bandaids.
- Night light. Chances are you won’t be unpacking and setting up all lighting for that first night so pack a few extra night lights to help get you oriented in the space when it gets dark.
- Paper Plates and Plastic Cups. Ya know, the moving fine china.
- Screwdrivers. Both types.
- Pen, Paper, and Sharpie. You’ll want to be list making like crazy once inside, re-label boxes you’re not ready to unpack yet or write out some measurements before getting something installed or purchased.
What else would you include on this checklist?
Consider this the first in my Moving 101 Series! Stay tuned to more tips!